7) Inform Yourself... but Watch Less News
It’s easy to get fixated on the ‘energy’ of a crisis. We want to know more, so we watch more. It draws us in, and feels hard to pull away from. Yet at the same time, it can also increase our stress, anxiety and fear.
Our minds generate a lot of negative and fear-based thoughts during times of crisis. Worry. Despair. Powerlessness. Fear of the future. (And so on.) These grow when we watch the news. And the more ‘bad news’ we see and hear, the more these thoughts (and feelings) grow.
So how do we take care of ourselves in times like these?
Here are a few tips:
- Don’t ignore or deny what’s happening.
- Stay informed about what you need to know and do.
- But be mindful of how much news you are watching.
- Take regular breaks from it.
- Notice if more information is actually helping you cope and understand, or if it’s feeding your fear, anxiety or powerlessness.
While watching news of negative events, remember to:
- feel your body
- notice your emotions, or fearful thoughts
- listen to what you’re needing underneath these
- give yourself caring and reassurance, e.g. put your hand on your heart, and give yourself love/calming energy
Use the news to help yourself, and others. But don't let it consume or disempower you. Stay in charge of your well-being.
How to Be Intentional About Consuming Coronavirus News, from Greater Good Magazine. How to stay informed about coronavirus while protecting your mental health.
Useful Sources of Information
Coronavirus Resource Center, Johns Hopkins University + Medicine
A resource to help advance the understanding of the virus, inform the public, and brief policymakers in order to guide a response, improve care, and save lives.
World Economic Forum
The World Economic Forum is the International Organization for Public-Private Cooperation
Governmental Sources of Information on the Coronavirus
In the USA:
In the European Union:
In the United Kingdom:
Worldwide / United Nations World Health Organization:
From the News Media
CNN Global Town Hall on the Coronavirus
with Andersen Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta
- Held every Thursday (April 24th edition below)
Your guide to COVID-19 and its impact on life in Canada
Basic Information, How does it affect me, Video Explainers + more:
Australia's ABC News: